Sunday, April 4, 2010

my hood

So it's been like an entire winter season since I wrote something. I bumped into an aquaintance this afternoon at one of my favorite wine shops in Spenard. He reminded me that I should keep writing about spenard and all its potential in spite of the naysayers about the Spenard Road project. (thanks!) I love living in Spenard. It's hip, bohemian, diverse, funky, and unique. I just want it to be safe and easy to get around. i would also like to see it blosom into a thriving vibrant community that's uniquely Alaskan. Meaning that it would be great to see future changes address our wintry climate as well as our eclectic diversity into a sustainable community. Seem too idealistic?

Recently I was so happy to see an invite to the Spenard Farmers Market. Check it out on facebook. what a great plan, i guess it was just a matter of time. there are many aspects of spenard that seem to be reaching critical mass which historically has led to a renaissance in other communities. using the adjective of renaissance in reference to Spenard is nothing new, but it seems that it's much more palpable these days. we need the road project to happen sooner than later. in many ways it's cramping our style and stifling our creativity.

Spenard, the coolest place in Anchorage!

No comments: